Mississippi Salvage Title

In the state of Mississippi, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your automobile is in an accident. If your insurance claims the total loss or the word salvage has been stamped on the title, it is illegal to operate your vehicle on any road in Mississippi. What this means is that your original registration on your vehicle has been cancelled, and you'll need to remove your plates off your automobile.

If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MS Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways. Please note that your vehicle can't be re-titled until it passes a Salvage Inspection.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DPS related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DPS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DPS.

3: Via a DPS office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DPS office. Varying DPS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DPS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DPS allows you to make a personal appointment.

Mississippi Salvage Title

In the state of Mississippi, insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a total loss if your auto is in an accident. If your insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, they are required to apply for a Salvage Title. Once a salvage title has been issued, the vehicle is no longer registered and cannot be driven.

Apply for a Mississippi Salvage Vehicle Title

To apply for a title on a salvaged car in Mississippi, you'll need to go to your local county tax collector's office. You must bring the following:

  • Original certificate of title
  • Documentation from your insurance company stating the automobile is classed a Total Loss
  • Odometer statement

Once these steps are completed, you can submit the Salvage Title Application along with the appropriate titling fees.

Mississippi Rebuilt Salvage Vehicle

In Mississippi, once your salvaged vehicle is rebuilt and/or repaired, you can apply for a MS Rebuilt Salvage Vehicle Title. Just go to your local county tax collector's branch and submit the application along with:

  • Salvage certificate
  • Safety inspection paperwork
  • Bill of sale
  • Odometer statement
  • Driver's license
  • Proof of insurance

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Mississippi

An abandoned vehicle title in Mississippi can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it, the local Mississippi law authorities must be notified a report for the abandoned vehicle created. Then you must publish a notice in the newspaper an abandoned vehicle was found, including its location. Make sure to request a Publication Certificate. This is done to give the prior owner a chance to claim the vehicle. If the prior owner does not come forward, or is not located by authorities, within 60 days, you may apply for a Mississippi Vehicle Title.

For more information contact the Mississippi Highway Patrol, your local tax collector's office, or the Mississippi Department of Revenue‐Motor Vehicles Division.