Change of Name on Mississippi Car Registration

Have you recently gotten married, divorced, or had to change your legal name? The Mississippi DPS recommends that you change the name on your MS car registration as soon as possible. Select from the options below to get started.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DPS related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DPS in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DPS.

3: Via a DPS office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DPS office. Varying DPS offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DPS closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DPS allows you to make a personal appointment.

Name Change On Mississippi Car Registration

Any individual who wants to change their name must submit a notarized petition for legal name change to a Mississippi district court. You must supply evidence supporting a need for a name change such as a marriage document, divorce document, valid restraining order, etc. If you are a child, you must show proof of your parents' or guardians' consent. After the court approves your request for a name change, you will receive a notice from the Social Security Administration (SSA) requesting you to change your name on your Social Security Card as well. Once you have done this by filling out an Application for a Social Security Card, please visit an office of the Department of Public Safety so your vehicle registration can reflect your new name.